As per IDC’s latest Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, Q4 2019 report, Xiaomi has become the first smartphone brand to lead the mobile phone market in India. Xiaomi led the mobile phone market across smartphone and feature phone market in Q4 2019, followed by Samsung and Reliance Industries.
Xiaomi also retained its market leadership in India for smartphones, continuing to occupy the number one smartphone vendor position in Q4 2019, for 10 consecutive quarters. With a market share of 28.6 per cent in 2019, three out of the top five smartphones sold in India were Xiaomi devices.
- Xiaomi has become the first smartphone to lead the mobile phone market in India in Q4 2019 across smartphone and feature phone market.
- Xiaomi continues to lead the smartphone market for ten consecutive quarters with 29 per cent market share in Q4 2019 and 28.6 per cent market share in CY 2019.
- As per Q4 2019 smartphone tracker, Xiaomi is
- 55 per cent bigger than the second largest smartphone vendor
- 88 per cent bigger than the third largest smartphone vendor
- 123 per cent bigger than the fourth largest smartphone vendor; and
- 127 per cent larger than the fifth smartphone vendor
- Xiaomi had three out of the top five smartphones in CY 2019; with Redmi Note 7 Pro leading followed by Redmi 6A.
- Xiaomi continued to lead the online smartphone market with more than 42.71 per cent market share in Q4 2019 and 43.82 per cent in CY 2019.
- Xiaomi shipped over 43 million units in CY 2019.
Commenting on the development, Manu Jain, vice president, Xiaomi and managing director, Xiaomi India said, “This is an extremely exhilarating moment for us at Xiaomi India, as we become the leader in the overall mobile phone market across smartphones and feature phones. It has helped us come closer to our mission of providing innovation for all, and Q4 witnessed several people adopting the smartphone. This along with the fact that our overall smartphone business continues to grow is a proud moment for us at Xiaomi.”
He further added, “We are so grateful for the immense love and support we have received from millions of Mi Fans, who have believed in us every step of the way. Our mission to deliver amazing products at honest pricing has changed people’s lives and started a new chapter in the mobile Internet era in India, and I believe we will become an even bigger part of people’s lives as we are committed to gaining our users’ sustained trust and appreciation through constant innovation across our products, business model and infrastructure.”
IDC added, “Xiaomi registered annual shipments of 43.6 million units in 2019, the highest ever smartphone shipments made by any brand in a year, with a growth of 9.2 per cent YoY. The Redmi Note 7 Pro and Redmi 6A were the highest shipped devices nationally in 2019. Xiaomi continued to dominate in 4Q19 with 15.9 per cent YoY growth on the back of newly launched Redmi Note 8 Pro/8A/Note 8/8 series.”
The festive season sale contributed significantly to Xiaomi’s dominating success in Q4 2019. The company sold over 12 million Xiaomi devices in one month translating to a massive 40 per cent YoY growth over last year’s festive sales for Xiaomi. This growth came from a very huge base of over 8.5 Million devices sold last year, when Xiaomi was already the largest brand in the country. Xiaomi also sold over 600,000 Mi TVs during this period and over 3 million Mi Ecosystem products and accessories.