The mobile subscriber base increased from 1,010.89 million as of December 2015 to 1,078.42 million as of October 2016, a growth of 6.7 per cent. The number of fixed line subscribers decreased from 25.52 million to 24.52 million, a reduction of 3.9 per cent. Private players accounted for about 90.86 per cent of the total wireless market as of October 2016. The remaining 9.14 per cent share was held by state-run operators Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL). In the wireline segment, BSNL and MTNL together held 70.82 per cent market share as of October 2016, while the remaining was held by private operators.