itel, announced the results of the study titled ‘Trend Survey by itel- what India thinks about Smartphones’ conducted by credible national third party. The detailed study was done to understand and analyse consumer trends and preferences when it comes to smartphone usage. The trendy features like artificial intelligence (AI) camera, fingerprint sensor and drop notch display are the most preferred features for consumers that drive their purchasing decision while looking for a budget smartphone. While AI camera remains to be the key aspect in terms of the consumer preference at 33 per cent, consumers also look out for some trendy features like drop notch display at 25 per cent followed by fingerprint sensor at 22 per cent.
The survey report also concludes an insightful preference for local language consumption. The probability of consuming content in one’s native language came out to be quite high. As per the report, 64 per cent of the respondents prefer to consume content in their local language.
The study evaluates and reports various dimensions of smartphone usage, consumer preferences in terms of features, favourite apps highlighting the key trends, favourability and significant consumption patterns across gender, age groups, regions and more. The survey highlighted a unique content consumption pattern on smartphones. The study mentioned 50 per cent of Indian smartphone users watched movies followed by 24 percent on news. The vast majority of Indian youth around 88 per cent till the age of 24 watch movies exclusively on their smartphones.
In a country like India, where there are 450mn smartphone users, the significance of smartphone usage depends upon what value the smartphone provides in terms of features, the latest technology and most importantly the affordability factor. From content likability point of view, 56 per cent audience states that news gets them maximum traction on social media followed by 20 per cent around selfie posts, 14 per cent on travel and food at 10 per cent. From showcasing the trends to the depth of addiction, the survey tries to understand the behavioral patterns of smartphone usage.
The survey is conducted online across 4000 respondents in 13 States. The report cuts across age-groups and demographics: youth, regions, working sector, etc.
According to Arijeet Talapatra, chief executive officer (CEO), TRANSSION India, “Smartphones remain at the centre of our lives be it in terms of consuming content and videos, exploring information, connecting with peers and friends or surfing social media platforms. As a brand that believes in providing trendy technology with A-class features at a budget-friendly price point, we commissioned this consumer trends survey to get relevant insights concerning the consumer patterns, choice and preferences when it comes smartphone usage. This study helped us understand that how quickly consumers are adopting advanced and innovative technology, hence it will further help us create and provide such technologically equipped and customised offering that will be loved by our customers.”
Building on the vision of being the enabler in the budget smartphone segment, itel, the leading smartphone brand from TRANSSION India has been a category disruptor in its segment with its accessible and budget-friendly, feature-loaded product portfolio.
itel Vision 1 from the brand reinstates itel’s 2020 vision to lead the change and power consumers’ ambitions. It comes loaded with superior features like 15.46cm (6.088) HD+ IPS waterdrop with incell technology and 2.5D curved fully laminated display, 4000mAh high capacity battery, enhanced AI dual camera, dual security features – multifunctional fingerprint sensor and face unlock, 1.6 GHz octa-core processor, dual active 4G VoLTE and VoWi-Fi support, and 32GB ROM with a dedicated expandable memory slot of up to 128GB.
itel A25 is another such product from the portfolio. itel A25 is a quintessence of magical features like multi-language support, face unlock, Google Lens and enhanced brighter screen, bigger and powerful battery of 3020mAh available at an entry-level price point. itel A25 offers local language pack comprising 14 local languages in line with consumers’ consumption of content in the native language.
itel believes in fueling the aspiration of the mass segment by empowering them with accessible and budget-friendly Smartphones that is largely driven through strong consumer-centric insights and research.
Some of the key findings are as below:
- Most Trendy Feature you want in your Smartphone
- In Budget Smartphones: 33% want Camera followed 25% drop notch display ,22% fingerprint sensor
- AI camera is the most highly preferred by 19-25 age group
- Drop notch display interests is equal amongst 19-24 & 31-35yrs
- Fingerprint sensor is preferred as the age group increases
- 64% prefer to consume content in their local language
- Social and Entertainment app usage-
- Females– 43% WhatsApp, 29% Dailyhunt and 27 % Facebook
- Males– 34% Facebook and 31% WhatsApp
- Below the Age of 24— Around 34% use Facebook and 31% WhatsApp
- 33% prefer WhatsApp & Facebook as their primary social media
- 28% prefer Dailyhunt
- Recommendation you consider while buying a Smartphone
- Overall online search (40%), followed by YouTube reviews (24%), friends (23%)— is the most valued recommendation
- Till the age of 24yrs— 38% rely on Friends recommendations followed by online search- 28% followed by YouTube reviews –23%
- Content you prefer to watch on your smartphone
- Overall 50 % consume movies
- 29% watch news
- Till the age of 24yrs – 88% watch Movies exclusively
- Apps you watch for Video Content
- 38% state that YouTube as their preferred App for video consumption, 25% use Voot and 18% use Hotstar
- In Budget Smartphones- 40 % prefer YouTube, 21% prefer Voot
- Favourite app for listening to music
- 45% consume YouTube & Gaana second highest 23%
- Content that gets maximum likes on social media
- 56% audience states that News gets them maximum likes on Social media ,20% selfie, Travel 14% and Food at 10%